Below is a list of current modules for the RTC.
Please note that the University is in a continuous process of developing and evolving courses to maintain the highest quality. So, some details with respect to the modules and selection of modules may change. Modules listed are illustrative and may be subject to change, please see the University’s position on Curriculum Development.
If you are a RE, Industrial Supervisor, or represent the Industry Sponsor, you can always obtain the most up-to-date information directly from the School.
Also, some modules have pre-requisites and anti-requisites, which will be advised on a case-by-case basis for each RE.
Modules available for the RTC
Modules marked “[A]” are modules suitable for REs who want a focus on artificial intelligence and related topics. Modules marked “[D]” are modules suitable for REs who want a focus on data science, data-driven, or data-intensive research.
Modules from the School of Computer Science
- CS5010 Artificial Intelligence Principles [A] [D]
- CS5011 Artificial Intelligence Practice [A] [D]
- CS5012 Language and Computation [A]
- CS5014 Machine Learning [A] [D]
- CS5020 Principles of Computer Communication Systems
- CS5030 Software Engineering Principles
- CS5031 Software Engineering Practice
- CS5032 Critical Systems Engineering
- CS5033 Software Architecture
- CS5040 Human Computer Interaction Principles and Methods
- CS5041 Interactive Software and Hardware
- CS5042 User-Centred Interaction Design
- CS5044 Information Visualisation and Visual Analytics [A] [D]
- CS5052 Data-Intensive Systems [D]
- CS5055 Data Ethics and Privacy [A] [D]
- CS5201 Special Project for Research Engineers
- IS5102 Database Management Systems [D]
- IS5103 Web Technologies
- IS5104 Information Security Management
- ID5059 Knowledge Discovery and Datamining [A] [D]
Additional modules from Computer Science that may also be available to REs, subject to some constraints depending on the previous educational background and experience of the RE, and a maximum of 2 modules from this list:
- CS4102 Computer Graphics
- CS4103 Distributed Systems
- CS4201 Programming Language Design and Implementation
- CS4202 Computer Architecture
- CS4203 Computer Security
- CS4204 Concurrency and Multi-Core Architectures
- CS4303 Video Games
- CS4402 Constraint Programming [A]
Modules from Mathematics and Statistics
The following modules are available from the School of Mathematics and Statistics.
- MT5761 Statistical Modelling [A] [D]
- MT5758 Applied Multivariate Analysis [A] [D]
- MT5764 Advanced Data Analysis [A] [D]
Modules from the School of Management
Modules are also available from the School of Management, subject to some constraints depending on the previous educational background and experience of the RE, and a maximum of 2 modules from this list:
- MN5424 Corporate Finance and Accounting
- MN5461 Strategic Management
- MN5470 Managing Human Resources
- MN5471 Marketing: Principles and Practice
The University also runs an excellent Graduate Skills programme. This is open to any research student (EngD and PhD) in the University, and offers many options for training in transferrable skills. Note that courses run via the Graduate Skills programme are all optional, and not required for award of the EngD.